Walk in the Footsteps of Bohemian Kings with Insight Vacations
Walk in the Footsteps of Bohemian Kings with Insight Vacations
Walk in the footsteps of Prague’s Bohemian Kings and fall under the spell of Český Krumlov. Explore the legacy of the Habsburgs in Vienna and Budapest.
Date: 14 July 2018
Duration: 9 Days
Price from: €2,050pps
- Welcome to Vienna: Arrive in Vienna, the Austrian capital famous for coffee and delicious pastries, where you can stroll to a local café before meeting your Travel Director and fellow travellers for a drink, followed by a pleasant Welcome Dinner served with wine at a local restaurant.
- Charming Český Krumlov and Golden Prague: Once over the Czech border, head for picturesque Český Krumlov. Get your bearings with included sightseeing. Then enjoy free time to explore this fairy-tale vision from the Middle Ages, nestled amid a loop in the Vltava River. Wander through the cobblestone, traffic-free streets, past colourful houses that lead up to the finest castle in the land. In the afternoon, continue through the green Bohemian countryside to Golden Prague.
- Prague, City of a Hundred Stripes: Join a Local Expert for a tour of one of the most beautiful and historical cities in Europe. Start with the 1,000-year-old Prague Castle where you’ll admire the stained glass of St. Vitus Cathedral and appreciate amazing views of the Old Town. Continue to Old Town Square where the mechanical antics of the Astronomical Clock’s glockenspiel delight onlookers each hour. The afternoon is free for you to explore at your leisure.
- Reflect on Auschwitz then on to Kraków: Enjoy a gentle drive through the stunning Czech landscapes before crossing into Poland where you will stop at Oświęcim, better known by its German name of Auschwitz. Join a guided tour of the memorial and museum of Auschwitz and stop at Birkenau, which bears witness to the terrible atrocities of the Holocaust.
- The Damsels and Dragons of Kraków: Accompanied by a Local Expert, journey into a glistening subterranean world at the 600-year-old Wieliczka Salt Mines. In a maze of tunnels deep below the surface, witness unique salt sculptures, sunken lakes and even a glorious cathedral carved entirely out of rock salt by the miners. On return to Kraków, join a Local Expert to ascend Wawel Hill and visit the cathedral. Walk past the courtyard of Jagiellonian University through the Old Town, to Europe’s largest and most beautiful town square. See the medieval Cloth Hall and visit the 14th century St. Mary’s Church, be sure to keep your eyes and ears peeled for the trumpeter in the tower. In the evening, choose from a selection of hand-picked local restaurants on your Dine-Around Evening.
- Through Sleepy Slovakia to Budapest: Journey into the Slovakian region of Orava, where villagers still live in traditional wooden houses. See the picturesque Oravský Hrad Castle before continuing through the breath-taking Low Tatra Mountains. Cross into Hungary to arrive in Budapest where in the evening, you are treated to a Highlight Dinner at the elegant Gundel restaurant. Savour mouth-watering Hungarian specialties, accompanied by specially-selected Hungarian wine, as you dine in sophisticated style.
- Budapest, the Queen of the Danube: Venture into the heart of Buda’s medieval Castle District with a Local Expert to visit Matthias Church and take in the vista from the Fisherman’s Bastion. Cross the Danube to the Pest district to visit Heroes’ Square and drive down elegant Andrássy Boulevard. Enjoy time in the foodie’s paradise of the Central Market Hall. Wander across its three levels brimming with aromatic food stalls offering delicious salamis, spicy paprika, Hungarian wines and an array of flavoured Pálinkas, a traditional Hungarian fruit brandy. The rest of the day is at your leisure to relax by the Danube or browse the boutiques of Vaci Street.
- Stately Vienna and the Hasburgs: Cross the border, continuing to stately Vienna to join a Local Expert for a private tour of Maria Theresa’s magnificent Schönbrunn Palace and formal gardens. Be transported to a time of opulence and extravagance as you marvel at the intricacies of gilded Rococo frames, frescoed ceilings and crystal chandeliers. Then get your camera ready for a drive around the Ring Road, a grand boulevard built along the lines of the old city walls showcasing many of the capital’s architectural masterpieces, including the Opera House, the magnificent Hofburg Imperial Residence, the Austrian Parliament Building and Karlskirche. As night falls, experience an extraordinary concert of Viennese classical music. The best-loved works of Johann Strauss and Mozart, performed by highly acclaimed soloists and dancers, are complimented with a delicious meal of traditional Austrian fare, accompanied with wine. This is an incredible way to toast your adventures with newfound friends.
Epicurean Dinning: 8 Buffets Breakfasts and 5 Dinners with wine.
An Expert Insight Tour Director, at the pinnacle of their career, will guide you on your journey. Serving as your travelling concierge, this skilled guide will act as a consummate organiser and be your ‘friend in a foreign land’.
Enjoy the unique comfort of Insight’s luxury air-conditioned 40 seater coach with extended leg room and onboard restroom. It’s business class comfort.
A personal radio headset gives you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert’s fascinating insights and commentary
Baggage handling everywhere, with seamless and prompt delivery to your door at every hotel.
Hotel and restaurant tips included – you’ll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency. Plus we include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi.
Insight flourishes – from time to time, your Tour Director will enchant you with local tidbits, each representing authentic food or beverages unique to the destination.
Included airport transfers at scheduled times on arrival and departures dates.
Terms & Conditions:
Prices are per person for twin share. Single supplement may apply.
Flights are excluded.
This offer is subject to availability and may be withdrawn or amended without notice.