Best of Germany with Oberammergau with Insight Vacations
Best of Germany with Oberammergau with Insight Vacations
Be captivated by the old world charm of Rothenburg and Nuremberg, the mountain scenery of Bavaria and the amazing re-birth of Dresden to its former Baroque splendour, and experience the spectacular Passion Play that has made Oberammergau famous. Watch from your premium seat as local villagers perform as they have since 1634 in this once in a decade event. An emotive and critically acclaimed performance depicting Christ’s last days, this is an event not to be missed.
Date: 05 June 2020
Duration: 10 Days
Price from: €2825pps
- Berlin: Embrace a journey of cosmopolitan cities, historic old towns and breathtaking natural scenery. In the afternoon, perhaps visit the KaDeWe department store, the shopping centre of West Berlin – which during 40 years of division, became the shop window of the West. At 17:30, join your Tour Director for a Welcome Reception with the opportunity to mingle over a pleasant evening of dinner and wine. orning sightseeing with a Local Expert takes you along the Ku’Damm to the Memorial Church. Drive through the Tiergarten to see Norman Foster’s glass dome that crowns the reconstructed Reichstag building. Continue on past the Brandenburg Gate, symbol of the reunification, and down the Unter den Linden, past the Humboldt University and Opera. Stop a while on Museum Island before enjoying an afternoon at leisure in this once divided city. Perhaps take the opportunity to visit the glorious palace of the Prussian Emperors at Potsdam?
- Dresden: In Dresden, join a Local Expert to see the splendours of the city. From the Frauenkirche, which has risen again from the destruction of World War II, walk past ‘The Procession of the Dukes’, a mosaic of colossal proportions on the Royal Palace façade. See the enormous cathedral, Semper Opera House and Baroque Zwinger Palace.
- Dresden, Nuremberg and onto Oberammergau: In the morning, depart Dresden and travel south to Nuremberg. Although the town was heavily bombed in World War II, it still remains a treasure trove of early German history and medieval architecture. With a local historian, tour the Old Town to see the charming blend of stone and timbered dwellings and the massive ramparts with its 46 towers. There is time to shop for delicious Lebkuchen (gingerbread) before continuing to fun-loving Munich. An orientation will show you the university, Victory Arch and the Marienplatz, where crowds gather at the Town Hall to watch the antics of the Glockenspiel. Then onto Oberammergau in the Bavarian Alps, home of the Passion Play since 1634.
- The Passion Play: After a morning at leisure in charming Oberammergau, take your premium reserved seats to witness the world-famous Passion Play, re-enacting the last days of Christ on earth. After a break for dinner in a local restaurant, the captivating performance continues into the evening.
- The Black Forrest: In the morning journey to Lindau, an island in Lake Constance connected to the mainland by a causeway. Stroll through the narrow streets past old inns and half-timbered houses, to admire the fantastic backdrop of the Swiss and Austrian Alps across the lake. Take a delightful drive along the shores of Lake Constance, lined with orchards and vineyards, to the Black Forest. The Black Forest is the land of cherry cake and cuckoo clocks, where traditional farmhouses dip their thatched roofs almost to the ground. Stop in one of the centres of the wood-carving industry to meet locals who still make cuckoo clocks by hand, a tradition passed down over 300 years.
- Medieval Rothenberg: Venture to Rothenburg-ob-der Tauber, the most well-preserved town on the Romantic Road. Plunge back into the 16th century as you walk through narrow cobbled streets lined with high-gabled houses to the market square, dominated by its Renaissance Town Hall. With an artisan baker, enjoy a demonstration and learn the history of the traditional pastry Schneeballen (snowball), followed by a tasting. Afterwards, the rest of your day is free to explore the quaint town. For your Dine-Around Evening experience, choose from a selection of restaurants within the walls of the Old Town.
- The University City of Heidelberg and Mainz: Head through the valleys, where villages and isolated farms nestle beside fast-flowing streams, before travelling north to Heidelberg. Enjoy the outlook from the heights of the castle fortress before venturing inside to see the Great Wine Vat, with its associated tales of the dwarf court jester, Perkeo. Spend time in the vast and insightful Apothecary Museum, before enjoying panoramic views of Heidelberg and the Neckar Valley. Your hotel is in the nearby town of Mainz, a bustling and important town since the time of the Romans.
- Castles of the Rhine Experience: Begin the day with a relaxing cruise past steep-sided vineyards, half-timbered taverns, the hilltop castles and the notorious Lorelei Rock. Alight at Boppard and continue to Koblenz where a gigantic equestrian statue of Wilhelm I guards the junction of the Rhine and Moselle. Camera at the ready as you return along the eastern bank. Enjoy the scenic views from the mighty Niederwald Monument. In the evening, round off your German experience with a farewell Celebration Dinner overlooking the River Rhine, complete with the local wine. Prost!
- Epicurean Dining: 9 Buffet Breakfasts (BB) and 6 Dinners (D) with wine (DW).
- An Expert Insight Tour Director, at the pinnacle of their career, will guide you on your journey. Serving as your travelling concierge, this skilled guide will act as a consummate organiser and be your ‘friend in a foreign land’.
- Enjoy the unique comfort of Insight’s luxury air-conditioned 40 seater coach with extended leg room and onboard restroom. It’s business class comfort.
- A personal radio headset gives you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert’s fascinating insights and commentary
- Baggage handling everywhere, with seamless and prompt delivery to your door at every hotel.
- Hotel and restaurant tips included – you’ll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency. Plus we include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi.
- Insight flourishes – from time to time, your Tour Director will enchant you with local tidbits, each representing authentic food or beverages unique to the destination.
- Included airport transfers at scheduled times on arrival and departures dates.
Terms & Conditions:
- Prices are per person for twin share. Single supplement may apply.
- Flights are excluded.
- This offer is subject to availability and may be withdrawn or amended without notice.