March Last Minute Deals with Insight Vacations
Discover the scenic delights and delicious cuisine of this forgotten part of Spain. Compare Oviedo’s ancient churches and resting relics of St. James with Barcelona’s captivating Sagrada Família.
Date: 14 April 2018
Duration: 11 Days
Price was: €2,525pps
Price NOW: €2,220pps
- Madrid of the Bourbons: Stroll along the noble avenues past the Cibeles Fountain and down the Gran Vía to the monument to Cervantes in the Plaza de España. Cross the Puerta del Sol and continue to the Prado Museum. Your visit will be a highlight of your escorted journey. Discover countless works by Velázquez, Goya, Titian, Botticelli, Rubens and others as you are guided by a local art historian..
- Over the Guadarrama Mountains to Santiago: Journey through the Guadarrama Mountains to the infinite horizons of Old Castile. Some of Spain’s most fashionable white wines are produced in Rueda and you will have the opportunity to learn how they are made and sample the delights of the Verdejo grape. Your travel continues past the impressive Castillo de la Mota, conquered by Queen Isabella, and on to Santiago de Compostela, where the tomb of the Apostle St. James was miraculously discovered in the Middle Ages.
- Saintly Santiago de Compostela: Become acquainted with some of Europe’s finest historical buildings during an orientation with your Local Expert. The monumental square, Praza do Obradoiro, is pure grandeur in granite. Look up from the steady trickle of present-day pilgrims to the cathedral facade to see an ensemble of soaring towers, arches and windows, festooned with architectural frills. Venture inside and once through the Gateway of Glory, you’re privy to the same vision that has greeted pilgrims since the Middle Ages. The faithful may choose to pass behind the ornate high altar to touch the giant 13th century gilded effigy of St. James and follow in the steps of the pilgrims along The Way of St. James. Relax during your free time or explore the narrow streets and old squares of this city.
- Along the Costa Verde to Oviedo: Pass through the ancient forests of Galicia and cross to the Green Coast of Asturias – one of Spain’s most beautiful, named after the colour of the sea and the pine and eucalyptus trees that line the shore. Your route reveals glorious coastal vistas before turning inland to travel through old villages and deep valleys en route to Oviedo. A Local Expert will show you the 9th century churches built when the city was the capital of Christian Spain. Visit the Cathedral of the Holy Saviour in the stately square of Plaza Alfonso II. Admire the incredible altarpiece, one of the finest in Europe. A short drive brings you to the Asturian coast and the Bay of Biscay. Stop at the delightful city of Gijón that has a history dating back 5,000 years. Meet a true local, Flor, who will invite you to join her for dinner. Hear about daily life in this up-and-coming seaside city as you enjoy a delicious meal, typical of the region, that Flor has freshly prepared from locally-sourced ingredients, accompanied by delicious local apple cider.
- Picturesque Santillana Del Mar and on to Santander: See the unique Roman bridge in Cangas de Onís as you head into the foothills of the Picos de Europa, a national park encompassing spectacular mountain and gorge scenery. Visit the holy cave of Covadonga, a shrine to Pelayo, who achieved the first Christian victory over the Moors in 722. Enjoy views of the Costa de Cantabria while travelling to Santillana del Mar, arguably the most beautiful village in Spain. Stroll through the rustic cobblestone streets, admiring stone houses decorated with carved, heraldic symbols and reach the delightful church square. Continue on to the sophisticated beach resort of Santander.
- Bilbao, Costa Vasca and San Sebastián: In nearby Bilbao, admire the striking modern architecture of the Guggenheim Museum, one of the world’s most spectacular buildings. Enjoy the views as you are driven along part of the Costa Vasca, dotted with small coastal fishing villages. Pause in Getaria, at the mouth of the Urola, to see El Ratón, the mouse-shaped rock. Continue to San Sebastián, pearl of the Cantabrian coast, set on its shell-shaped bay. Admire its beauty as you walk with your Local Expert through the Old Quarter. See the numbered balconies of the Plaza de la Constitución, a reminder of the days when bullfights were held in the square. Atop Monte Igueldo there are breathtaking views of the town and La Concha Bay.
- San Sebastián, Pearl of the Cantabrian Coast: Enjoy a day at leisure to stroll along San Sebastián’s boardwalk and with the city harbour filled with fishing boats and pleasure crafts, you can enjoy a number of sporting activities on its large sandy beach. Perhaps you’ll want to explore the nearby French village of Saint-Jean-de-Luz, also known as Little Paris? Maybe stroll the promenade of the famous La Concha bay or enjoy the boutiques of the Old Town?
- Pamplona and on to Barcelona: Journey to the famed town of Pamplona, known for its Running of the Bulls festival. With time free for you to explore, perhaps take a stroll to the famous Estafeta Street or visit Café Iruña, immortalised by Ernest Hemingway in the ‘The Sun Also Rises.’ Your travels continue to Barcelona, the vibrant capital of Catalonia, a land that retains its own distinctive language, culture and traditions.
- Barcelona, City of Gaudi: Wake up ready to embrace the city’s artistic heritage. Join a Local Expert in the heart of the Barri Gotic, the Gothic Quarter, and walk through the Roman Gate to see its narrow lanes and old squares. You are driven along the Passeig de Gràcia, adorned with elegant wrought-iron street lamps and the most flamboyant Modernist buildings. Continue through the Eixample district to behold Gaudí’s extraordinary masterpiece, the Sagrada Família. As you venture inside, look above to see its giant, tree-like pillars and spectacular vaulting. Admire the wonderful rainbow of the incredible stained-glass windows. With the afternoon at leisure, you are free to relax or continue your exploration on your own. In the evening, join your Travel Director and newfound friends at a local restaurant. Raise your glass and toast your travels during your delightful Celebration Dinner.
Epicurean Dinning: 10 Buffet Breakfasts and 4 Dinners with wine.
An Expert Insight Tour Director, at the pinnacle of their career, will guide you on your journey. Serving as your travelling concierge, this skilled guide will act as a consummate organiser and be your ‘friend in a foreign land’.
Enjoy the unique comfort of Insight’s luxury air-conditioned 40 seater coach with extended leg room and onboard restroom. It’s business class comfort.
A personal radio headset gives you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert’s fascinating insights and commentary
Baggage handling everywhere, with seamless and prompt delivery to your door at every hotel.
Hotel and restaurant tips included – you’ll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency. Plus we include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi.
Insight flourishes – from time to time, your Tour Director will enchant you with local tidbits, each representing authentic food or beverages unique to the destination.
Included airport transfers at scheduled times on arrival and departures dates.
Terms & Conditions:
Prices are per person for twin share. Single supplement may apply.
Flights are excluded.
This offer is subject to availability and may be withdrawn or amended without notice.
Book by: 31 March 2018