Country Roads of Umbria and Tuscany with Insight Vacations
This magical journey devotes quality time to the medieval hill towns and evocative landscapes of Italy’s two most famous regions. Enjoy favourite recipes and classic wines as you meet with local people to hear their fascinating stories.
Date: 01 July 2018
Duration: 8 Days
Price was: €2,395pps
Price NOW: €2,215pps
- Welcome to Rome: On arrival to your centrally located hotel, a short stroll from the Via Veneto, relax and settle in before meeting your Travel Director. Get to know your fellow guests during your Welcome Dinner at a local restaurant.
- Sistine Chapel and Cooking in Orvieto: Explore the Vatican Museums in the morning, where a local historian unveils the gems of the vast Papal art collection. Your special VIP visit includes fast-tracked entry and behind-the-scenes access to the Bramante Staircase, a part of the Vatican normally closed to visitors. View the imposing Basilica of St. Peter, the largest in the world. Journey north to the Umbrian hilltop town of Orvieto; its cathedral is one of Italy’s most celebrated buildings. You’re welcomed into the kitchens of zesty, Etruscan chef Lorenzo Polegri, who shares with you his virtuoso cooking skills and love of Italian food. Delicious pasta fresca, combined with the local staples of olive oil, cheese, prosciutto and focaccia, make for a memorable Highlight Lunch, all washed down with a chilled glass of Orvieto Classico wine.
- Perugia: Join a Local Expert to navigate the underground labyrinth of little streets, alleys and arches. Walk Corso Vannucci, resplendent in pale-pink stone, passing the princely Priors’ Palace, cathedral and finely sculptured Great Fountain in the main square. Visit an artisanal workshop to meet Marta, beneficiary of a TreadRight Foundation grant, and her weavers. See how the fascinating art of loom-weaving textiles has been passed down through the generations and learn how this ancient craft is being preserved. Afterwards, you will be free to enjoy the many delights of Umbria’s capital city. For dinner, choose your ideal ambience and palate-pleasing menu from a hand-picked selection of Perugian restaurants for your Dine-Around Evening. Buon appetito!
- Assisi: Journey to Assisi, one of Italy’s most beautiful medieval hilltop towns, set high up in the mountains and enclosed by fortress walls. In the valley, see the famous Church of St. Mary of the Angels, much venerated as the place of St. Francis’ death, then continue up Mount Subasio to the upper town. Step inside the massive, 13th century Basilica of St. Francis with your Local Expert to learn how Giotto masterfully painted frescoes that inspired a variety of Renaissance artists. Continue through the twisted groves that carpet the side of Mount Subasio. At a family-run mill, meet a third generation specialist to follow the evolution of the olive from tree to table. Relish the intense flavours drizzled over crusty bread with a sprinkle of salt – delizioso!
- Tuscany to Cortona, Siena and San Gimignano: Follow the shores of Lake Trasimeno to Cortona, one of the oldest hilltop towns in Tuscany. After free time to explore, continue to the narrow cobbled streets of Siena. Standing in the shell-shaped Campo, imagine the frenzied atmosphere of the biannual Palio horse race and see the superb 14th century Town Hall. Then, with your Local Expert, climb up to the black-and-white striped marble cathedral. Travel to your home for the next three nights, a delightful villa near the medieval town of San Gimignano. In the morning, your Travel Director will show you San Gimignano’s medieval skyscrapers, serpentine streets and hidden squares. The town is also home to world champion gelato maestro Sergio Dondoli. At his artisan ice-cream parlour on Piazza della Cisterna, the jaunty gelataio doles out his silky, frozen treats in a range of unique flavours. The rest of the day is at leisure; why not join an Optional Experience to Pisa and Lucca?
- Florence and Chianti Countryside Experience: Soak in the Renaissance city of Florence during a fascinating walking exploration as a Local Expert takes you to the marble-clad cathedral crowned by Brunelleschi’s dome. See the baptistery with its beautiful Gates of Paradise and Giotto’s splendid bell tower. Walk on to Piazza della Signoria with its open-air gallery of Renaissance sculptures, followed by free time to shop for top-quality Florentine leather or seek bargains in the gold workshops. Journey through the rolling Tuscan hills to Podere La Marronaia and meet the family that owns, lives and works on this organic farm. Toast to your travels and new friends over your Celebration Dinner. Savour a delicious Farm-to-Table abbinamento experience, where each course is perfectly paired with organic wine produced on the property.
- Venice and the Magic of La Serenissima: Descend from the Apennine Mountains before crossing the fertile valley of the River Po and continue to magical Venice, a city which seems to float on the lagoon. There is no better way to see Venice than by water. Once you disembark, a short walk will bring you to St. Mark’s Square. Wonder at its marbled expanse as well as the Byzantine basilica, Doge’s Palace and lofty bell tower. Later, embark on a romantic gondola ride along the charismatic canals while musicians serenade you with some of Italy’s best-loved songs. With the afternoon at leisure, why not immerse yourself in this romantic city with an Optional Experience to St. Mark’s Square by private water taxi, where you take your reserved seat at a famous Venetian cafe for a live orchestral performance?
Epicurean Dinning: 8 Breakfast Buffets, 1 Lunch and 4 Dinners with wine.
An Expert Insight Tour Director, at the pinnacle of their career, will guide you on your journey. Serving as your travelling concierge, this skilled guide will act as a consummate organiser and be your ‘friend in a foreign land’.
Enjoy the unique comfort of Insight’s luxury air-conditioned 40 seater coach with extended leg room and onboard restroom. It’s business class comfort.
A personal radio headset gives you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert’s fascinating insights and commentary
Baggage handling everywhere, with seamless and prompt delivery to your door at every hotel.
Hotel and restaurant tips included – you’ll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency. Plus we include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi.
Insight flourishes – from time to time, your Tour Director will enchant you with local tidbits, each representing authentic food or beverages unique to the destination.
Included airport transfers at scheduled times on arrival and departures dates.
Terms & Conditions:
- Prices are per person for twin share. Single supplement may apply.
- Flights are excluded.
- This offer is subject to availability and may be withdrawn or amended without notice.
- Book by: 30 March 2018