Amazing Spain & Portugal with Insight Vacations
Amazing Spain and Portugal
Delve beneath the surface of these two amazing countries. Sample their signature dishes, share in their culture and marvel the legacy of their rich sea-faring history
Date: 07 April 2018
Duration: 9 Days
Price was from: €1895pps
Price now from: €1706pps
- Madrid: Arrive in Madrid! The rest of the day is at leisure to begin to get to know this stylish city. During your time in Madrid, you will travel along the Gran Vía and through the Puerta del Sol, seeing the Royal Palace and famous Cibeles Fountain.
- Toledo: Venture south to meet a master craftsperson in a Damascene workshop for a personal insight into this ancient craft handed down by the Moors centuries ago. Continue to the fascinating city of Toledo, situated high above the River Tagus. This was Spain’s capital during the golden era, where Arab, Jewish and Christian cultures flourished side-by-side through the Middle Ages. Walk within the city walls, through the narrow cobbled streets, led by your Local Expert. Visit the Church of Santo Tomé, housing El Greco’s famous painting, ‘The Burial of the Count of Orgaz.’ Then onwards to Granada!
- Granada and Seville: Bathed in morning light, the Alhambra Palace awaits – a fantasy of arabesque gardens, fountains and stone cut like lace. Explore with your Local Expert and also visit the exotic water gardens of the Generalife, the royal summer residence. Take a moment to relax in the sunshine as you enjoy the fine views over the town and its three verdant hills. Embark on a scenic drive to Seville where a Local Expert will guide you through the maze of narrow lanes and shady squares of the Santa Cruz Quarter. Emerge by the huge walls of the fabulous Alcazar to see La Giralda, the former minaret of the Great Mosque, but now the cathedral bell tower. Enter the immense 15th century cathedral, the final resting place of Christopher Columbus and see his tomb enriched with the spoils of the New World. During your Highlight Dinner enjoy the flavours of Andalucía and share the passion of Spain’s most fiery region as you experience a flamenco show.
- Alentejo to Lisbon: Pass through the oak forests where black Iberian pigs are bred for the famous Spanish hams. Stop in Jabugo for an insight into the history and curing process of Jamón Ibérico. The subtle differences will be revealed with a delicious tasting. Then venture across the wide Alentejo Plateau to Lisbon.
- Lisbon: During your stay, a guided orientation of the city with your Local Expert takes you along the avenues of the Lower Town and beneath the hilltop Bairro Alto to the Terreiro do Paco, the finest square in the city. Visit the Belém Quarter from where sailing ships once set forth to discover unknown lands. See the traditional patisserie that has managed to hold on to the secret recipe of Portugal’s finest pastry for almost 200 years and enjoy a tasting of the famous Pastéis de Belém. View the Monument to the Discoveries and the more ancient Belém Tower. Visit the 500-year-old Jerónimos Monastery with its beautiful Manueline architecture, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. With the afternoon at your leisure, perhaps join an Optional Experience to the beautiful town of Sintra which was the summer residence of the Kings of Portugal?
- Holy Fatima and Golden Salamanca: Travel into the green hills north of Lisbon to visit Fátima, the most celebrated place of pilgrimage in Portugal. Visit the Basilica commemorating the appearance of the Virgin Mary to three children in 1917. Cross the border, returning to Spain and continue to Salamanca, famous for its golden stone buildings and the handsome arcades of the Plaza Mayor. Across the River Tormes, see the Puente Romano with 15 of its 26 arches dating from the time of the ancient Romans.
- Old Castile, to St Teresa of Avila and onto Madrid: Cross the rock-strewn hills of the Castile, to arrive at Ávila. Walk within the ancient city that is still entirely enclosed within 11th century walls, a unique occurrence in Europe. Return to Madrid to explore the old town with your Local Expert. At a local restaurant, join your Travel Director and newfound friends for a lively Celebration Dinner. Then it’s time to say goodbye!
- Epicurean Dining: 8 Full Breakfasts, and 4 Dinners with wine, all with tea and coffee.
- An Expert Insight Tour Director, at the pinnacle of their career, will guide you on your journey. Serving as your travelling concierge, this skilled guide will act as a consummate organiser and be your ‘friend in a foreign land’.
- Enjoy the unique comfort of Insight’s luxury air-conditioned 40 seater coach with extended leg room and onboard restroom. It’s business class comfort.
- A personal radio headset gives you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert’s fascinating insights and commentary
- Baggage handling everywhere, with seamless and prompt delivery to your door at every hotel.
- Hotel and restaurant tips included – you’ll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency. Plus we include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi.
- Insight flourishes – from time to time, your Tour Director will enchant you with local tidbits, each representing authentic food or beverages unique to the destination.
- Included airport transfers at scheduled times on arrival and departures dates.
Terms & Conditions:
- Prices are per person for twin share. Single supplement may apply.
- Flights are excluded.
- This offer is subject to availability and may be withdrawn or amended without notice.
- Price includes early payment discount. Book and pay in full by 26 January 2018