Magical Switzerland with Insight Vacations
Magical Switzerland with Insight Vacations!
Embrace winter’s beauty, admiring the sparkling lakes, fortified towns, and snow-laden Alpine peaks. Embark on a spectacular expedition by rail on-board the world-famous Glacier Express.
Date: 03 December 2017
Duration: 7 DAYS
Price Was: €2,050pps
Price Now From: €1,845pps
Promotional Code: PPLMD0004
- Zurich & Lucerne: Welcome to Switzerland – an enchanting winter wonderland of frozen waterfalls, peaceful cosy villages, snow-laden forests and imposing mountain ranges, crowned by famous peaks. Experience Lucerne, a beautiful 14th century city still protected by medieval fortifications. Admire the covered wooden bridges, the painted gables and the sorrowful Lion Monument. Then there’s time to enjoy the excellent shops and lakeside walks before heading along the dramatic Walensee, past Chur, to the fashionable ski resort of St. Moritz.
- St Moritz: This whole day is completely at leisure, so maybe opt for a late breakfast to start? Then, perhaps explore the spa quarter of this chic resort, see the houses with their traditional ‘sgraffito’ façades or indulge in the stylish boutiques? You may even consider joining the Bernina Express for a scenic rail journey of such epic proportions that it has been declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site?
- Brig: Board the world famous Glacier Express for a spectacular ride through the heart of the Swiss Alps. Descend through the tunnels of the Albula Pass and traverse the lofty Landwasser Viaduct. Your train then joins the broad Rhine Gorge and meanders beside rock-strewn rivers before climbing through snowy pastures and woodlands. Picturesque landscapes of ice-capped mountains and stone-built villages with chalet-style houses glide by. After a series of spirals, you will reach the highest point of the route: the icy Oberalp Pass. Modern, panoramic viewing cars ensure that you won’t miss a thing on your descent to Andermatt and down the Rhône Valley. Around mid-afternoon, you will disembark in Brig.
- Zermatt: Enjoy dramatic Swiss scenery as you follow the narrow valley which leads to Täsch. Board the cogwheel train that takes you to the traffic-free haven of Zermatt, at the foot of the Matterhorn. Wander along its cobbled streets to browse among the shops, explore the ancient wooden farmhouses and ‘mazot’ barns in the back alleys, or visit the Matterhorn Museum to pass through the homes of yesteryear. If you have a head for heights, then you may like to board the cable car up the Klein Matterhorn. From the summit, marvel at the incredible views of the icebound Swiss Alps (weather permitting).
- Chillon Castle & Geneva: Journey along the Lower Rhône Valley to the shores of Lake Geneva where the associations with the early European ‘Romantic’ movement are very strong. With a Local Expert, visit beautiful Chillon Castle, former home to the Counts of Savoy, set on a rocky islet in the lake. Close by is the sophisticated tiered town of Montreux, where it is delightful to stroll along the lakeside promenade. A beautiful drive beside the lake, passing Vevey and Lausanne, brings you to the immaculate town of Geneva. On arrival, sightseeing includes the United Nations Building (Palais des Nations), the Old Town, Reformation Monument and if operating, the Jet d’Eau. Spend your night in Geneva, rejoicing with your friends before you fly home the next morning.
- Epicurean dining: 6 Buffet Breakfasts and 1 Three-course Lunch aboard the Glacier Express with tea or coffee; plus 1 Welcome Dinner, 2 Three-course table d’hôte Dinners and 1 Celebration Dinner all with wine, plus tea or coffee.
- An expert Insight Tour Director, at the pinnacle of their career, will guide you on your journey. Serving as your ‘travelling concierge’, this skilled guide will act as consummate organiser and be your ‘friend in a foreign land’.
- Enjoy the unique comfort of Insight’s luxury air-conditioned 40 seat coach with extended leg room and onboard restroom. It’s business class comfort.
- A personal radio headset gives you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert’s fascinating insights and commentaries.
- Baggage handling everywhere, with seamless and prompt delivery to your door at every hotel.
- Hotel and restaurant tips included – you’ll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency. Plus we include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi.
- Insight Flourishes – from time to time, your Tour Director will enchant you with local tidbits, each representing authentic food or beverages unique to the destination.
- Included airport transfers at scheduled times on arrival and departure days
Terms and Conditions
- Price shown is for twin share. Single supplements may apply.
- Flights are excluded.
- This offer is subject to availability and can be withdrawn or amended at any time without notice
- Use Promotional Code at time of booking.
- Book and pay in full by 30 November 2017