Relief for 80,000 passengers after Aer Lingus cabin crew defer strike

 

Thursday, June 12, 2014
By Stephen Rogers-Irish Examiner Reporter

A strike by Aer Lingus cabin crew which could have grounded up to 80,000 passengers next week has been deferred.

Impact trade union, which represents the staff, said enough progress had been made in eight hours of discussions at the Labour Court yesterday to enable it to postpone the two 24-hour stoppages on Monday and Wednesday.

It is believed that on the back of the progress made, the court will today issue a recommendation which will include a requirement that the two sides enter into a “process” to hammer out a solution to the long-running rostering dispute.

A spokesman for Aer Lingus said the company welcomed the union’s decision to stand down next week’s action.

“We are happy that we will be able to offer customers a full schedule next week,” he added.

Impact has claimed cabin crew are having to work up to 60 hours in a seven-day period, resulting in shift patterns of six working days and one rest day, followed by six more working days. It has said staff want a roster similar to pilots at the airline — five work days followed by three rest days.

The company has said it is willing to introduce the 5:3 rosters on short-haul in Dublin and Cork, but is unwilling to implement them on a trial basis.

It is understood a number of the main issues still remain to be resolved.

Meanwhile, the expert panel appointed by the Government, Ibec, and the Irish Congress of Trade Unions to examine the €700m-plus deficit in the pension scheme of Aer Lingus and the Dublin Airport Authority is not now expected to issue its final report until next Monday.

© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved

Author Information

Travel Agent: ITAA